Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Spotlight on Katrina Bufton - Top 5 from Challenge 15


For our current challenge "Masculine" please click here.

********

We thought it would be nice to have spotlight posts throughout the month dedicated to our top 5 from the last challenge "It's All In The Words"  We hope you enjoy reading about their crafting journey and you never know it could be you in the spotlight next month.

Katrina Bufton

I was born and bred in Cornwall but now live in Burnham-on-Sea with my lovely husband Will and our loony cat Millie.  I work part time as a receptionist and run a card making club which meets twice a month.

I've been doing some sort of craft since I was a girl when my mum taught me how to knit.  Since I would by whichever wool was on offer, I made some "interesting" jumpers when I was a student.  I also dabbled briefly in candle making when I was a girl, melting the wax in a saucepan on my mums cooker.  I was making a pink candle one afternoon but thought the cerise was a bit bright so to tone it down I added some water to the molten wax.  Colour me surprised (and pink) when it exploded all over the kitchen.

After university I took up cross stitching and sometimes designed my own patterns, but when I started full time work I didn't have the time to craft much.  I took up card making in 2006 for two reasons; firstly I had spent several months recovering from arm injuries and was really bored, secondly I thought that the cards in the shops were getting way too expensive, so I thought I would save some money by making my own. Ha, ha!!!  I have now bought so much stuff I could stock a small craft shop.

When I started I had a few ideas but I was stuck for inspiration.  Luckily I found a new card making club that was being run above the local craft shop and I picked up lots of new techniques (thank you ladies, especially Paula and Heather).  I became firmly addicted to stamping though after I saw the first Clarity show on Create and Craft.  I was amazed at what Barbara could do with a piece of card and some ink, and I have watched every single show since.  Sometimes I'm even brave enough to have a go myself!

I was thrilled to meet Barbara at the Exeter craft show last September where she demo'ing gelli plate techniques, and then my mum and I got the opportunity to attend a Clarity workshop.  We had a brilliant day, we met some lovely people and had great fun playing with the gelli plate and all the fabulous stamps and stencils.  After only a little badgering my husband got me membership of the New Designs Club for my birthday (greatest present ever).

********

Here's Katrinas artwork using the treescape stencil, look at how shiny the trees are!


If you'd like to see more of Katrinas work please pop over
to her blog and have a look around


Thanks for sharing your crafting background Katrina!


********


You don't have to miss out because you don't have a blog!

Send your entries to us at:

Claritystampchallenge@hotmail.com


********

If you would like to find out more about the regular regional Clarity workshops run by members of the design team we have a page dedicated to them.  Click here for more information, there's even a map to help you.

If there isn't one in your area and you don't fancy travelling, please keep an eye out on the blog as we are gradually adding new workshops.







xx Happy crafting and Clarity hugs xx

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Katrina. I've never tried using the stencils like this for embossing, but will be giving it a go now. Congratulations on your top 5. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of this stencil Katrina and very worthy of a top 5 in the last challenge xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, each one is read and greatly appreciated xx