Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Spotlight on Emily Follett - Top 5 from Challenge 9


For our current challenge "SCENE BUILDING" please click here

********

We thought it would be nice to have spotlight posts throughout the month dedicated to our top 5 from the last challenge "CHRISTMAS"  We hope you enjoy reading about their crafting journey and you never know it could be you in the spotlight next month.



Hello, I'm Emily Follett.  I'm 35, a wife to Glenn and mum to 8 year old Henry.

I started crafting during a bout of severe post natal depression following the birth of my son in 2005 and was told to take up a hobby.  I chose crafting and soon began tuning into craft programmes.  One day I caught a show called "Stamping with Clarity" presented by the wonderfully talented Barbara Gray and from that moment onwards I was hooked.  Before this I hadn't been a stamper, but watching what Barbara could achieve with a brayer, the correct inks and coated card stock was amazing.  I particularly liked the fact that she took a blank piece of card and turned it into a piece of art.  To me this was 'real' art but with the help of superb stamps and great for someone like me who can't draw for toffee!

I started to follow the Clarity website and facebook pages and realised that they ran classes around the country.  I tried very hard to find one in my area (Devon) to no avail.  However, as luck would have it, not long after I heard that a group was starting up in the south west and I contacted a lovely lady by the name of Bernie Simmons.  It was with slight trepidation that I embarked on my first 100 mile round trip from just outside of Exeter to my first Clarity workshop in Plymouth, but I needn't have worried though as everyone was very welcoming.

Over the last 10 months we have taken a different technique and stamp (or stamps) each month and practised our skills under the watchful eye of our very talented tutor Bernie.  We have undertaken lots of topics from brayering and scene building to gelli plate and altered art.  All the sessions are very thought provoking and we share ideas and tips as well as having a good laugh too.  The whole group get on brilliantly and I come away full of enthusiasm, raring to try out my new found techniques.  My stamping has improved no end since starting the workshops and I've entered the monthly challenge and sent in homework for Barbara's "In the Classroom" shows.  I finally feel like my artwork is worthy of being shown off and this is in a large part due to all the encouragement I receive at class.

I feel honoured to have been chosen as one of the top five and will continue to improve my skills as a crafter as time goes on.

********

Here's Emily's star card featuring the 'Twas the Night' stamps.


If you'd like to see more of Emily's work please pop over
to her blog and have a look around


Thanks for sharing your crafting background Emily!




xx Happy crafting and Clarity hugs xx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily I enjoyed reading how you got into crafting and I think you star card is lovely. I definitely think that crafting is good for the soul. Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Barbara,
    I adore your your blog. but cannot say more today except that I received another parcel from you and I think you need to stop using that foam that bit is so bad for the environment. I
    hope I am not being rude. I,ll try to talk mre next time.
    Best wishes. Ana-Paola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em xx Thank you so much for the kind things you have said....Yes I like Sam agree crafting is good for the soul.
    I am so thrilled that you enjoy the Clarity South West Workshop's and the projects we do there. And thank you so much for coming so far it's a fair trek for you It's funny to think a year ago we had not met but how quickly the group has gelled and firm friendships are made....thank you again xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, each one is read and greatly appreciated xx