Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Spotlight on Ruth McQuinn - Top 5 from challenge 3


For our current challenge "MR & MRS" please click here

********

We thought it would be nice to have spotlight posts throughout the month dedicated to the top 5 from challenge three "IT'S ALL IN THE SENTIMENT".  We hope you enjoy reading about our crafters and maybe it could be you next month.



Hi, my names's Ruth and I live in Bristol.  I've been crafting in one form or another for most of my life but 'properly' for maybe 4.  I've always done a bit of knitting, a tiny bit of sewing and I really got into home décor stencilling a few years back!

What got me started (this time around) was working on an IT project (I can see puzzled faces)...  I had to arrange a 'train the trainer' session so that our technical leads on the project, most of whom were really quite technical accountant types, could design their training sessions and deliver them.  They were all told that having received the training they would have to deliver a teach back to their trainer, the Programme Manager and me, amongst others.  One of the leads started off her session by explaining that she wasn't in a position to deliver the content of her real sessions, so she was going to apply the training techniques she'd learnt on another topic, which was... tea bag folding!  Well, the look on all the 'trainees' faces, including mine, was just amazing!

Jackie's session was brilliant, both from a training perspective and for me an eye opening 'here's a hobby for me' perspective.  I was hooked!  Not remotely interested in the tea bag folding (sorry tea bag folders), but she brought along glitter pens, peel offs, fancy paper and well the rest is history.  I hit a big store who were extremely helpful in parting me from about £300 for a Big Shot, a few dies, lots of paper and some glitter.  I was on the way.

Of course all our tastes move on and evolve, the next step was discovering the style I wanted as mine and I think this is still evolving.  I remember going to a show at Newbury Race course and seeing Barbara demonstrate Clarity stamps and thinking 'hmm this looks interesting'.  Then again at the NEC where she probably thought I was some sort of mad stalker as I stood in front of her watching brayering for probably an hour and a half.  I suspect there may have been some dribble involved too!  I came away with one of her A6 cards which is still on my wall as a momento.  I joined the New Design Club and have a good selection of stamps, they are really amazing to use and I wouldn't be without them.  I love the silhouettes which create a story when they are on a background.

Now I'm starting to get the Gelli plate bug, another use for the brayer!  More ink and paint under my fingernails!  Joy!  Moving away from straight card making and into more home décor pieces.

I was so surprised to find myself in the top five and I've definitely only been 'playing' until February this year when I got a proper craft room and set up my blog.  To have work recognised so soon is just amazing!  Hopefully the start of changing my work/life balance.

********

Here's Ruth's fob watch which has been
decorated using lots of different techniques.  All of
those hours stalking Barbara have obviously paid off!


If you'd like to see more of Ruths work please pop over
to her blog and have a look around


Thanks for sharing your crafting background Ruth!



xx Happy crafting and Clarity hugs xx



1 comment:

  1. How lovely! Well done Ruth x
    I can remember the first time I saw Barbara demoing at the NEC, I stood there for ages then kept going back! She must have thought I was mad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, each one is read and greatly appreciated xx