Sunday, 16 June 2013

Spotlight on Emma Burns - Top 5 from challenge 3


For our current challenge "MR & MRS" please click here

********

We thought it would be nice to have spotlight posts throughout the month dedicated to the top 5 from challenge three "IT'S ALL IN THE SENTIMENT".  We hope you enjoy reading about our crafters and maybe it could be you next month.



Originally from Edinburgh, I now live in the little valley town of Darvel in East Ayrshire.  I'm married with three grown up children (no grandchildren as yet, but we take solace in our two cats).

My whole family is 'arty' in one way or another and we were all encouraged as children to be creative.  I, myself, was never any good at painting but became a dab hand at sketching especially with nude models.  At one time I had my pictures on display at home but a few of them disappeared quite mysteriously so now they are hidden away.  I studied art and interior design at college but went on to do a little bit of private tutoring when I left college.

As the years have gone by I kept up with my drawing and encouraged my own children.  I had my own cake business for over 20 years but retired early due to ill health.  I love making flowers and cakes but my highlight was when I made a singer sewing machine cake, someone thought it was real and tried to pick it up and a florist wanted to know why the bride hadn't asked her to supply the real roses on the wedding cake.  She wouldn't believe me when I told her that they were made from icing!

In 2006 I moved here to the west coast of Scotland and was introduced to crafting on a different level by my good friend Irene and she in turn introduced me to Create and Craft due to the fact that there was this brill lady on who could do amazing things with a brayer.  What's a brayer I asked her? Well I'd never heard of one!  So we watched a recoding of this lady and oh my, not only could she do amazing things with a brayer, but she made it look easy and fun and artistic.  I wasn't brave enough to try it though at that time.  I started making cards for family and friends, but my medium was parchment.  I just love working with it, it's so versatile and the results can be amazing.  

Since then I discovered that the lady from the TV (yes you've guessed) is Barbara Gray and she has this great company with fantastic stamps and best for me was that she had produced a range of stamps taking inspiration from the artist Alphonse Mucha. From then on I was hooked and a little bit in love.  Now I have a dedicated craft room filled with ink, paper, card etc, but my pride and joy are my Clarity Stamps!  I add to them all the time and am a member of the New Design Club, the best birthday present ever.

I'm lucky enough to be able to sell my cards, gift boxes and bags and use the money to buy more Clarity stamp.  I have recently started a blog so that I can share what I've made and also to try and pass on some useful tips.  I'm totally hooked on card making and genuinely feel that I've improved because of Clarity stamps and Barbara Gary.  I've even been brave enough to do a bit of teaching for our local girl guides and you should see the look on their faces when I showed them how to use perfect pearls, it was fun and I was asked to go back too.

I was so chuffed to be picked for the top 5 for May's challenge, I've never entered anything like this before so double chuffed especially after seeing all of the lovely cards everyone else made.  I now have to come up with something for the next challenge since I'm now hooked.

********

Here's Emma's gorgeous monotone card.  Can't you just
picture yourself sat there listening to that birdsong?


If you'd like to see more of Emma's work please pop over
to her new blog and have a look around


Thanks for sharing your crafting background Emma!



xx Happy crafting and Clarity hugs xx



3 comments:

  1. Well done Emma! It is a lovely card, I like the monotone look x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Emma. I really have loved seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies, I really loved making it. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, each one is read and greatly appreciated xx