Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Spotlight on Annie Mehew - Top 5 from Challenge 2


For our current challenge "IT'S ALL IN THE SENTIMENT" click here


********

We thought it would be nice to have spotlight posts throughout the month dedicated to the top 5 winners from challenge two "IN THE GARDEN".  So here is the first of our top 5 to tell us a little about herself.



I live in a beautiful part of north Wales with my husband.  We have 2 sons, three granddaughters and a grandson along with a gorgeous 4 year old black lab called Jasper who spends much of his time with me in the craft room.  I retired five years ago and I honestly don't know how I found the time to go to work and craft!!!

I've crafted for as long as I can remember and some of my earliest memories are of watching my Grandad pulling clocks apart and he would play with me for hours making models out of boxes.  I even had my own little toffee hammer in his shed so that I could 'help' him.

Then my Mum introduced me to all the girly crafts including knitting, cross stitch and dressmaking which paid off years later as I went on to spend 17 years managing a dressmaking shop, I loved it.  My biggest thrill was being able to make bridesmaid dresses and pageboy outfits for both my daughter's in law.

I discovered paper crafting when one of my daughter's in law gave me a handmade card and I've never looked back.  I'm a bit of a butterfly as I flit from one craft to another, I've bought no end of tools I thought I had to have, but I always return to my faves; stamping and die cutting.  There's nothing better than starting from scratch with some blank card and that buzz you get seeing the final result and knowing that you've made it yourself.

I was introduced to Clarity Stamps by my sister, she mentioned that she'd seen this amazing lady called Barbara Gary demoing stamping in a very different way on Create and Craft.  I tuned in and I was totally hooked, I love Barbara's work and can spend hours picture building with Clarity stamps, sometimes I have a result, sometimes I end up with a bin full of failures.  Crafting has seen me through some difficult times because I can get totally lost in what I'm doing, it's so therapeutic and I've heard a lot of crafters say the same thing.

Nowadays I'm interested in learning more about mixed media and art journalling, I do like experimenting with my crafty stash.  I recently started doing craft challenges and enjoy the feedback I've had when I've uploaded my work, so I thought I would give blogging a go to share some of my better makes.  

Once the children had flown the nest and my grandchildren were growing up I found myself crafting on my own but since I ventured ito blogland I've enjoyed the camaraderie and friendship of like minded people and it's great!  I would certainly recommend giving crafty challenges a go, having my card selected as one of the top 5 in the "In the Garden" challenge was a real thrill.  

I hope I've persuaded one or two of you to give it a go, you won't regret it...  The only thing is it becomes very addictive!!!

********

Here's Annie's gatefold card with a view into her gorgeous
garden along with her Mums favourite quote that Clarity
made into a stamp


If you'd like to see more of Annie's work please pop over
to her blog and have a look around


Thanks for sharing your crafting background with us Annie!



xx Happy crafting and Clarity hugs xx


2 comments:

  1. Annie, thank you for sharing your crafting and you life with us and your beautiful card, we are privileged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, I enjoyed reading that, very honest too. I can see you defiinately deserved to be in the top five you work is lovely and very inventive. Sam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, each one is read and greatly appreciated xx