Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Spolight on Chris Hearn - Top 5 from Challenge 1


For our current challenge "IN THE GARDEN" please click here

********

We thought it would be nice to have spotlight posts throughout the month dedicated to the top 5 winners from challenge 1 "ANYTHING GOES".  We've already had the first two of our spotlight posts, so here we are with number three.

********



Hi, I'm Chris and I live in East Malling a few miles from Maidstone in Kent.  I've been married for 40 years and have 2 wonderful children and 2 even more wonderful grandchildren.

I'm interested in all types of craft and have made things since I was a child.  I didn't start card making until 9 years ago until my daughter Caz made her own wedding invitations and I thought "that looks fun" so caught the bug.  I always laugh when people say "how lovely, you must save so much money making your own cards".  Yeah right, like everyone else I spend so much on craft stash, I may have each crafty make down to less than £50 each by now!  I don't have a particular style as it depends on what mood I'm in and what sort of card I'm making.  I do like to try new things and experiment too.

I have more time on my hands since retiring a couple of years ago and now make cards regularly. My daughter and I were commissioned last Christmas to make all of the stationery for a friends daughters wedding.  It's very nerve racking making something for a paying client, but despite weeks of work, blood, sweat and tears we really enjoyed the experience and luckily the bride and bride's mother loved what we produced!  Just one problem, after spending days making 80 Order of Service complete with inserts for the prayers and the hymns, the bride's mother forgot to take them to the church.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when she told me; my first thought was, that's 3 days of my life I shall never get back!

I love Clarity stamps and particularly Barbara's style of card making.  I can't remember when I became  aware of Clarity but it must have been from watching the shows on Create and Craft.  I'm a member of the New Design Club and always look forward to receiving my monthly stamp, project sheet and newsletter.  This year I'm determined to improve my brayering skills by attending my third Cowden workshop, I just love going each year, such a fun relaxed atmosphere and it's always good to catch up with some 'old' friends who are also regulars at the workshops.  I do, however, need to have a word with Dave this year and tell him to place a 'ban from the van' order on me as I spend far too much money.

My other love is golf so if the weather is good you'll find me on the golf course instead of in my craft room.

********

Here's Chris's bicycle card using her favourite stamp and lovely subtle misty shading in the background to create her scene.  Of course we can't forget that sentiment can we?  I wonder who came up with this one?  Barbara by any chance?



If you'd like to see more of Chris's work please pop over to her blog and have a look around


Thank you for giving us an insight into both your life and crafting background Chris!



xx Happy crafting and Clarity hugs xx

6 comments:

  1. Well done Chris, super background on this and loved the muted colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Chris and I enjoyed reading 'all about you'.
    This card is classy and very elegant... yes... if I wasn't skint after AP I might have given you 50 quid for it. Lol E xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Chris and I really enjoyed reading an insight into your crafting life and you are so right about the cost of each card. I reckon I probably have enough stuff to make cards for the next millennia! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. It means a lot coming from such talented ladies.

    Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely use of a single colour here Chris x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, each one is read and greatly appreciated xx